Thursday, July 12, 2007

Japan'll be the end o' me

This year, for the first time EVER in my short but patriotic American life, I did not celebrate the fourth of July.

I went to a barbeque where a bunch of Latino's living in Japan get together and eat and dance and jaw. So, it was like celebrating the fourth in Miami or South Texas, in that I got my "gratuitous gorging on grilled meats and casseroles" on, but it just wasn't the same. I attribute this mostly to the fact that I was a late-comer, and so I entirely missed the watermelon stash. Its not the same without my favorite sugar water diahretic.

I did, however, spend a couple of hours babysitting Toshiro, who is 2 years old, and doesn't know if he's Japanese or Latino. He's Japino... or was it Latinese? I don't know. Anyway, I taught him 5 English words in an hour or so. I know this because I heard him use all of them multiple times. Sharp guy.

Summer break is coming up! I'm really stoked about learning to surf at Chiba and Yokohama. Apparently, there are several very respectable spots for surfing. Who knew!

Oh yeah, back to the "Japan will be the end of me" thing. Yesterday I was teaching at one of my elementary schools. Now, when they build things in Japan, they don't build for a height range of 5' something to almost 7', they build for a much more midgetish society. Like, under 4' to 6'. 6' being significantly on the tall side. HA. But, this is hard to get used to. I'm accustomed to being able to walk through hallways without hitting the ceilings and door jams. (At least, I think that's how you use the word door jam.) So, I'm looking down in my bag for the schedule and suddenly I feel this crippling force flood through my body, I realize I'm going down, and then realize that I had no time or ability to do anything about it because I'm already on my butt with my legs sprawled out in front of me. After a few seconds, when the world is no longer black, I realize that as my head was turned down, DOWN, mind you, a few inches lower than if I had been standing fully upright, I slammed the top of my head into a kind of purposeless door way in the middle of the hall. There is no door attatched to it. Oh, no. Just a random booby trap for tall unsuspecting gaijin (foreigners). I have a very large knott.

So, if I survive Japan, I'll be a much stronger person... who may or may not have a short-term memory capacity by the end of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn man, how tall are you? That sounded pretty painful. The only thing I had a problem hitting my head on were those hanging lamps that some apartments had. They were just ridiculously low.