Monday, March 19, 2007

Crisis Averted... Nothing to see here folks.

Do you know what makes me really happy? Not losing my passport.

I realized a few days ago that it wasn't where it should have been, and I figured it had gotten placed in a pile of stuff or fell under the bed. I poked around, didn't find it, and put off actually finding it for tommorow. Well, last night rolled around, and I REALLY looked, and couldn't find it anywhere... and I mean ANYWHERE.

I was up until 2 hunting and praying. This morning I was supposed to drive to Miami to pick up my work visa, but I realized that w/o the passport, it wouldn't do me any good. They would have to re-issue a new work visa for a new passport, and even the expedited passport would take 2-3 weeks. So I came home again and took my room and the stuff that I had packed apart, bit by bit. Let me tell you, few things are as demoralizing as unpacking your stuff for a huge trip before you even get there. Its like admitting defeat, psychologically.

So my mom sudgests, "Maybe you left it at the consulate." I say, "Mom! No. (With a very sure, almost demeaning tone.) I'm sure I didn't do that. I mean, I'll call, but I am positive that I did not do that. I remember looking in my backpack and seeing it in there, while I was on the beach, after I left the consulate." (Keep in mind, I regularly manufacture my own memories on a regular basis.)

And now, let us read from the book of Second Humiliations 3:19

"And Lo! Joshua was in most grave error, and did make an utter fool of himself!"

Me and my brilliant forethought, which have learned to save me from myself, had left my passport with the official at the embassy ON PURPOSE so that I wouldn't lose the passport while I was waiting for the visa to get processed. Brilliant, huh? I know, I know, a very clever move. Actually remembering that I had done that and saving myself a real crisis of patience and faith would have been equally nice. Though, I must say, it is good to have all the benefits of a crisis of faith without any of the actual dangers that would would make the crisis at all dangerous.

So, all is well. I'm driving back down to Miami tommorow to pick it up, and all is well.

Crisis averted. 6 days to take off, and all I gotta do is repack. Whug.

No comments: